paris, je t'aime

01 February 2011

day 2: the toilet. is in. the garage. must wear socks... so cold...

welp, day 2 has passed. whew! i made it. i just got off skype with elliot, and feeling kinda down because i'm really starting to miss him and my family. i'll admit it, i cried. i never knew how important the physical part of relationships are... and i'm not just talking romantic relationships. simply hugging a family member or a friend or a boyfriend can mean so much. it's so comforting and reassuring. i don't have that anymore. it's been stripped from me. i can pretend... but it's just not the same.

on another note, i woke up at 12:30 this morning (well, afternoon) and was surprised that i had slept for about 12 hours. maybe it was because this bed is as hard as a rock (original simile removed for the parentals' sake) and my pillows are pretty stiff, too. so i tossed and turned a bit, tried to get comfy, snuggled up with my favorite childhood ginger, my raggedy andy doll. when i was a kid, i would wipe away my tears with his little stuffed hands. and honestly, i would still do that every once in awhile growing up. i thought he would be of especially good use on this trip. :) and he has been.

wow, i keep straying off topic. anywho, i got dressed, decided to be more french-like and leave off the makeup, and went downstairs for breakfast. colette made a pot of coffee, super strong as always, and i fixed myself a bowl of cereal. yummy cereal. my favorite, and in my opinion, it's the only real way to eat breakfast. then colette and i walked karen to the university for her orientation. after dropping her off, we went to a small downtown area, or the neighborhood next to colette's house, called madeleine. perrrfect! i'm liking where this is going! we stopped by the pharmacy, then by the bank, then by the bakery, and back home. got in the car and drove to the mall (which has a grocery store inside of it, i don't know if i mentioned that before, but it's so frickin tight! why don't we do this in america again?!) and i got a backpack because i wasn't thinking and forgot to bring mine. which probably wouldn't have mattered anyway, considering it rains all the time here and the backpack i have is mesh. i grabbed some pens and pencils and when i was looking for notebooks, all i could find were notebooks that looked like they were meant for teachers' grade books because they were all gridded. so i motioned for colette to come over to where i was standing and i opened a notebook and said, "c'est normale?!" or, "is this normal?!" and she said yes, in france it is. so i bought some grade books.

we came home and colette had me practice opening, closing, and locking the door and turning the alarm on and off. mastered that. then i went up to my room and skyped elliot basically all day since KU had a snow day today... lucky (f/d)ucks. the first snow day of my KU career and i wasn't even there to bask in it. oh well, suckas, i'm in france! :)

it wasn't too crazy/amazing of a day, but i enjoyed it. and i think i'm already starting to get better at my french speaking/listening skills. whaddup!

2 comments:

  1. Maddie, I have enjoyed reading your blog; it makes me feel you're closer than you really are...I guess because I get to read your thoughts and see how your day goes...so far, anyway. :-) I know there will be times you feel sad, and I think that's pretty normal, but remember, in the big picture, you are really only there for a very short period of time. Take every moment and savor it because this is a wonderful opportunity for an adventure. What was it that Mr. Fleer said? Make it a great day...or not...the choice is yours. You have so many people here supporting you, so enjoy yourself! I love you, Madeline...you are right where you belong at this moment. Sweet dreams, honey. Mom

    ReplyDelete