paris, je t'aime

05 February 2011

always have a plan... as in, the french word for a map.

i was so happy this morning because i got to sleep in! so i took advantage of it and slept until like, 1:30. i think i was just tired from crying last night and waking up in the middle of the night to talk to elliot when he was done cleaning the kitchen. when i finally got up, i ate some cereal for breakfast and came back upstairs to get dressed. karen said that it was pretty warm outside, so i wore some shorts with leggings underneath. and i looked gooood. :) then, at about 4, karen and i met her friend kayla in front of the school to go downtown to take pictures and do some shopping. i got a few people their french presents (oh la la!) and got a couple things for myself. but when we went into h&m, i lost karen and kayla and couldn't find them anywhere for a good 10-15 minutes, so i decided to go back home by myself. the problem is that here, the streets are so confusing! i got lost in an instant. and then i remembered, oh wait, i need to find the post office to mail a letter. so i walked around trying to find that, then found a lady and her daughter walking together so i decided to ask her where it was. and it was literally down the street right behind me where i thought i had already looked. so i went to the post office, and the lady who helped me was really nice and showed me how to do it. after that, i was all set to go on an adventure to come back home. it was probably 5 to 5:30, and i knew i had dinner with colette at 7. and like i said before, missing dinner is not an option. so i walked really fast on each street that i thought would lead me home. no luck. finally, i broke down and called the KU professor they sent with us, and even though she had a map pulled up on her computer and was trying to tell me where to go, i still had no idea what she was talking about. so i said, "okay! i think i see it!" after like 10 minutes of trying to tell her that i didn't know what she was talking about. then, i called my host mom. not much help there either, and it was actually worse since she had to say it all in french. so i got off the phone with her. then i texted my friend grace, and told her i was lost and frustrated and starting to freak out. so she, skye, and zach came to find me, and thank god they did. they pointed me in the right direction and told me exactly when and where to take each road, and it led me right home. and i was right on time for dinner, too! whew!

at dinner, colette told me that i really need to get a map to have with me at all times. and i was like, trust me, i'll have a map with me from now on. dinner was really good, we started off with this noodle soup stuff, very bland but pretty good. then we had peppered turkey with green beans (fresh green beans, not the kind from the can). after that was cheese, bread, and wine, and i tried this new cheese made from sheep's milk. it was really good! and for dessert, we had baked apples. yum. after dinner, i went to my room to skype and i talked to elliot for awhile. but he had to go to class, and karen and i were planning on going out with the other kids in our group. they told us to meet them at the school at 11, and when i went to wake karen up from her nap she said she just wanted to stay home and sleep. so i went by myself and met up with them. we went to a bar called fullstuff (i think) and got some drinks. i decided to try their beer. not necessarily a bad idea, but it was so strong, and definitely not what i'm used to in america. i met a really cool french girl there and she told me that she always goes to that bar and that i should come back. so i will :) i'm excited to meet french friends. the guys walked me home since it was on the way to their house, and i just crashed when i got here. so tired. and that was my day. I SAID GOOD DAY!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my Maddie, yes please get a map, why was you crying? Be safe, love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^^ i love him : )

    AND YOU, of course. but seriously. invest in a map!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete